Happy New Year.
Adhering to my ‘low cost’ approach I ended up wiring the lights with a mismatch of old electrical cable and 8-core alarm cable, terminal blocks and insulating tape. All units were run using 5v from several linear regulators (7805).
I’d put my lights up early and had about two weeks before Christmas. It was around the two week time that, after some foggy and cold weather, I noticed a single, end of line pixel was remaining illuminated. I could turn the mains supply to the regulators off easily and that cleared the fault only for it to come back minutes or hours later. Finally the fault cleared completely which was strange. With the units secured into the tree with Jubilee Clips I just lived with the fault rather than get the ladder out, fiddle with them and make the fault worse.
A few days between Christmas and the New Year another star developed a faulty pixel, but this was nearer the start of its run of 10x pixels and took most of that leg out. Again I could turn the power off and back on and often it reset properly.
A few days after new year I climbed up, marked the offending positions with red tape and then took all the units down, dried them off indoors and tested again. They all work fine. I then removed some of the silicone to inspect the joins but they too look OK still.
One of the faulty units was a version where I painted all bare connections prior to the silicone sealant 2nd coat. The other was the initial black silicone/clear silicone version. I can only assume for both that water/moisture ingress caused the fault. Flexing the wire doesn’t replicate the fault so it likely wasn’t a dry joint.
The Best Bits
Having a family stop at the end of my garden one evening to say their children really liked the lights.
When up the ladder taking them down a lady slowed her car down, wound the window down and told me how much she/they had enjoyed looking at them each night.
For Next Year:
- Add extra weather protection – perhaps a clear tubing over the top.
- Actually spend some money on the power supplies and distribution cables/connectors.
- Make some more units – 3+1 wasn’t enough !
- And although I liked the unmanaged approach of self-contained units I missed being able to change what they did once they were up and running. Therefore next year I may change them into DMX512 controlled lighting. Coupled with the fantastic Vixen 3 software I could so a similar starburst, synchronise the stars, change the colours to match etc. To this end I’m already looking at testing out some RS485 comms chips from Texas instruments.