There is some absolutely fantastic comments and information coming in – as moderator I’m approving them all so hopefully comments are appearing on the blogsite for everyone to see.
And now my update, which sadly isn’t quite as good as I’d hoped for. “SPI Spy” worked on a test setup (e.g. SPI bytes from the original PIC circuit to my MRF89XAM8A board). I soldered two thin wires to my Xyloband, sleeved them and fed these through a CD4011B (using two NAND gates to form non-inverting buffers to both SCLK and SDI) back to SPI Spy. Initially I got quite a lot of SPI bytes but none of them really aligned to anything meaningful in the Si4362 datasheets.
I thought the corruption might be due to the overhead times in my SPI Spy meaning missing some of the bytes and so changed some areas of the code for pure assembler. Somewhere after that change I noticed that the Xyloband no longer flashed briefly on power-up like it used to. I’ve checked connections and power to the ICs which is OK but the unit appears to not function. I can only assume somewhere along the way I shorted something out – for info I was running the circuit at 3.3v rather than the 3v from 2x AAAA batteries so that might have been responsible for the failure.
Unfortunately I’m not going to be able to provide much more assistance to others wanting to get their Coldplay Xyloband to light but I’m still really keen to know how others get on and so keep the info coming in as I’ll keep posting the comments. If however anyone would prefer to move that discussion into a more accessible/sharing electronics forum then please say so and I’ll post the URL to redirect anyone.
Those blog readers who have studied my posts will likely recall me mentioning two of my family attended the Coldplay concert and so surely I have two Xylobands – I do but one of the owners has seen the demise of this Xyloband and are certain they ‘dont know where their one is’ !
To finish this ‘project’ off I’ll tidy my “SPI Spy” data, draw out the circuit and upload to my Github account should anyone wish to use it for this (or other SPI related projects).
In time I may create my own version of a Xyloband (for personal use rather than a commercial design which would conflict any patents that Xyloband have) and can at least use my own protocol.
I would also like to thank all those around the world that have (and still are) following this blog. WordPress provides viewing statistics and I can see hits are coming in from every continent plus a really warm thank you to those who have shared their information here.
Lastly a picture of my now defunct Xyloband, which with a backdrop of the Institute of Engineering and Technology’s (IET) monthly magazine called E&T, would actually make a great cover. I now need to reassemble this Xyloband so it looks good still and return to its owner.